Skip to main content

Thoughts, Emotions, and Feelings. who controls who?

I am not who you think I am; I am not who I think I am; I am who I think you think I am.  Charls Horton cooley

What is it about thoughts, feelings, and emotions that make us in constant  war within ourselves?

Even if  you want to make sense out of them you need to use one of them, and that by itself creates more confusion than ever before you start to decipher the complex web of the inner SELF.

How can you make sense out of something that doesn't make sense? Even more, how do you make sense?

Well, the way I see it is, if for some strange reason (only you can comprehend), anything you perceive does  makes sense to you it doesn't necessarily have to make sense to anyone else .


The relationship between thoughts, emotions, and feelings is complex and interconnected, with each influencing the others in various ways. Here’s a brief overview of how they interact and which might control which:


1. **Thoughts**: These are the cognitive processes that involve reasoning, analysis, and decision-making. Thoughts can shape emotions by interpreting or giving meaning to situations. For example, if you think, "I might fail this exam," it could trigger feelings of anxiety or fear.


2. **Emotions**: These are more automatic, physiological responses to stimuli. Emotions often arise before conscious thoughts and can influence the way you think. For instance, if you feel angry, your thoughts might become more critical or defensive.


3. **Feelings**: Feelings are the subjective experience of emotions. They are how we consciously interpret our emotions, often shaped by our thoughts. For example, the emotion of sadness might be felt as melancholy or despair, depending on how you think about it.


### Who Controls Whom?

- **Thoughts can control emotions and feelings**: Through cognitive reappraisal or positive thinking, we can change how we feel about a situation. For example, reframing a failure as a learning experience can turn disappointment into determination.

  

- **Emotions can control thoughts**: Strong emotions like anger or fear can narrow our thinking, making us focus only on certain aspects of a situation, sometimes leading to irrational decisions.

  

- **Feelings are influenced by both**: Feelings are often the result of how our thoughts and emotions interact. Changing either can alter the feelings we experience.


In practice, it's often a dynamic loop where thoughts, emotions, and feelings continuously influence each other. Developing mindfulness and emotional intelligence can help you become more aware of this interplay and gain better control over how they affect each other.



Popular posts from this blog

Thoreau WALDEN Chapter VI: Visitors

                                                                      Chapter VI: Visitors I think that I love society as much as most, and am ready enough to fasten myself like a bloodsucker for the time to any full-blooded man that comes in my way. I am naturally no hermit, but might possibly sit out the sturdiest frequenter of the bar-room, if my business called me thither. I had three chairs in my house; one for solitude, two for friendship, three for society. When visitors came in larger and unexpected numbers there was but the third chair for them all, but they generally economized the room by standing up. It is surprising how many great men and women a small house will contain. I have had twenty-five or thirty souls, with their bodies, at once under my roof, and yet we often parted wit...

The Prophet Gibran Kahlil. Chapter 19 On Friendship

Chapter 19  On Friendship  AND a youth said, Speak to us of Friendship. And he answered, saying: Your friend is your needs answered. He is your field which you sow with love and reap with thanksgiving. And he is your board and your fireside. For you come to him with your hunger, and you seek him for peace. When your friend speaks his mind you fear not the “nay” in your own mind, nor do you with hold the “aye.” And when he is silent your heart ceases not to listen to his heart; For without words, in friendship, all thoughts, all desires, all expectations are born and shared, with joy that is unclaimed . when you part from your friend, you grieve not; For that which you love most in him may be clearer in his absence, as the mountain to the climber is clearer from the plain. And let there be no purpose in friendship save the deepening of the spirit . For love that seeks aught but the disclosure of its own mystery is not love but a net cast forth: and only the unprofitable is caug...

The Prophet Gibran, Kahlil. Ch 3 On Marriage

  Chapter 3  On Marriage  THEN Almitra spoke again and said, And what of Marriage, master? And he answered saying: You were born together, and together you shall be for evermore. You shall be together when the white wings of death scatter your days. Aye, you shall be together even in the silent memory of God. But let there be spaces in your togetherness. And let the winds of the heavens dance between you. Love one another, but make not a bond of love: Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls. Fill each other’s cup but drink not from one cup. Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf. Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone, Even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music. Give your hearts, but not into each other’s keeping. For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts. And stand together yet not too near together: For the pillars of the temple stand apart, And the...